Initial Appointment & Scheduling
1. Initial SchedulingWhen scheduling your initial appointment please have the following available:
- Name of referring physician
- Insurance card
- X-ray disc or photo of recent X-ray
2. Preparing for initial appointment:
- Photo ID of parent or guardian
- Recent X-ray (within 2-3 months) is needed if you have not already provided us with it
- Prescription for scoliosis brace
- Clinical notes from most recent physician appointment
- Wear/bring a sports bra (open-backed or non-razor back) string bathing suit top works well as it is imperative that your child's back can be seen clearly in the scan
- Wear/bring elastic waist spandex type shorts- loose fitting shorts are not acceptable
- Hair tie to keep hair off the shoulders
3. Day of initial appointment:
- Arrive 30 minutes prior to your child's appointment to complete paperwork (paperwork can be sent prior to appointment or filled out online)
- Duration of appointment- please allow 2 hours
- Patient history is collected, photos and scans captured, detailed clinical assessment/evaluation is performed, treatment plan formulated, all patient questions are addressed.
Allow 3 hours for the fitting appointment. You will receive both verbal and written instructions on the care and use of your device as well as the wear in schedule. Photos will be sent for review by our team with in-brace X-ray. Once any further optimization is completed we consider the fitting complete and we will keep in contact with you and see you approximately every three months to follow up with the fit of the brace and your progress.
- *ALWAYS tighten your brace when you are lying down!* This is to allow your body to unwind and move into the expansion areas built into the brace to obtain best correction.
- Check skin for any redness that lasts more than 30 minutes after removing brace
- If you have any concerns or questions about your brace fitting, wearing schedule, etc please call your local office
|Day 1||Wear brace for 1 hour|
|Day 2||Wear brace for 2 hours|
|Day 3||Wear brace for 3 hours|
|Day 4||Wear brace for 4 hours|
|Day 5||Wear brace for 6-7 hours|
|Day 6||Wear brace for 8 hours or to sleep|
|Day 7+||Continue to wear your brace for an additional hour each day until you reach the prescribed maximum suggested number of hours usually between 16-23 hours.|
Your prescribing physician determines how long each day that a patient needs to wear their scoliosis brace after the break-in schedule has been followed.
After we fit and dispense the brace to the patient, it is recommended to measure the height of the child without shoes against a wall or edge of a door just by making a mark. Please do this both standing and sitting in a chair every 2-3 months. This helps to accurately assess the change in height and how much of the height change occurred in the spine. The exact height is not as important as the change in height the period of time in which it occurred.
The in-brace X-ray should be done after the brace has been worn full time by the patient for at least two weeks after the break-in period has ended. This is typical 4 weeks after the initial fitting. A prescription is needed from your physician or physical therapist for the X-ray. We encourage you to schedule a brief visit at our office prior to the X-ray so that we are able to place markers on the brace, labeling where the contact points have been applied and to check the fit of the brace.
Patients should plan on visiting our office every 3 months after receiving the brace or more if they are growing rapidly. Parents should contact us once your child has shown significant growth in height (usually exceeding1.5inches) or significant weight change. Changes in weight are usually easy for us to accommodate however growth in the trunk is more important for us to monitor. A visit to our office depends on many factors which include the results of in-brace x-rays, patient growth, clinical photo reviews and any fit issues that arise. The initial fitting brace life is approximately 10-15 months which depends on the patient's growth in height (trunk length) and in some cases the change in curve pattern. There is no charge for a follow-up visit and appropriate fit of the brace is important.
Our first priority is to provide the highest level of care to our patients. In a time when insurance coverage is difficult to navigate, we have a dedicated Finance and Insurance Coordinator at each of our offices. These coordinators guide our families/patients through the health insurance process and obtain the highest level of benefits possible as it relates to care at the Scoliosis Technologies.
We are an in-network with most Insurances, In addition we have partnerships with other companies and IPA networks. In addition, we frequently negotiate single case agreements for patients with other insurance carriers.
- Medicaid (NJ)
- Medicaid (NC)
- Horizon BCBS
- BCBS of NC
- Care Centrix (NJ)
- Horizon NJ Health
- Medicaid (NY & HMO)
- Empire BCBS
- BCBS of Michigan
- BCBS of LA
- Cypress Care
- United Healthcare/Oxford
- US Dept. of Labor
- Integrated Healthplan (IHP)
- Duke Select
- BCBS Florida